Tuesday, May 24, 2016

New Companion, New Life

February 16, 2016

Hello!

This week was very interesting. It started off with me going up to Logan on Wednesday. I received some training from the assistants and President Allred on how to be a District Leader. I hope I'm doing a good job so far. I then found my new companion, Elder Woolwine. Elder Woolwine is a pretty big dude. He is from Orlando, Florida and he is 20 years old. He did a year of schooling before he came out for a mission. He has been out for 3 months. YES 3 MONTHS. So the mission decides to make an elder(me) a district leader and a senior companion just barely being out for 4 months. To me it seems like to most unlikely thing to actually happen but God's ways are not the way man usually likes to take. Hahaha but it's awesome, stressful but awesome!

Then we went out to work, work, and work. We only have 2 years to bring people to Christ. I'm not going to waste my time. And so we worked all day and all night this week. We had very few lessons this last week so we spent our time being as obedient as we can, going out and finding people to teach. We set up several lessons for this week. So we will stay busy. We invited investigators to be baptized and of course they accepted a date. So expect a lot of baptisms next month! :)

I've learned very quick that the mission is not about numbers. We have a lot of people that want to be taught in this stake and that's awesome. Yet I feel like crap when just one lesson falls through or just one person shows up to church. I'm not concerned about how many people take the lessons. I'm concerned about those who chose not to. So that's something that I'm working on. I've realized that there are some things that are just out of my control. I'm trying to be as obedient as I can and at the end of the day, I'm glad to say that there was nothing else I could do to help others come closer to Christ.

So I had my first district meeting last Thursday. I was pretty nervous which is unusual for me. I'm not afraid to go up and talk to strangers about the gospel. But something about trying to be a leader and example in the mission is scary. Hahaha but from what I've heard my first district meeting went great! A lot of the missionaries in my district who have been out for a lot longer time than I have all said that it went pretty well. (They're probably just saying that to help me not feel like garbage) haha but I enjoyed it. I have to present a district meeting every Wednesday so this is definitely a new experience for me.

Overall though it's been a good week. We have found people that need the gospel in their lives. Just yesterday we were walking in a group of town homes and we saw a family moving in. Without hesitation I grabbed something and asked if I can help the family move in. So we did that for about half an hour. It turns out that the family is
active, however, they have a 9 yr old boy that is not baptized and the family wants us to come back and teach them! So I asked if they would like to shoot for the 12th of March to have him baptized and they
agreed (the boy did too of course). Lesson learned this week that God brings you to people that need your help. As long as you are doing what you're supposed to do. Also, yesterday we had 2 lessons fell through. During these 2 hours we actually found people that desperately needed blessings and so we helped them. God places people in our lives that need help and it is awesome.

I'm enjoying the mission. I am seeing people's lives change right before my eyes. Including mine. I love every minute of the mission. The church is true without a doubt. My testimony is strong and its growing every day. Well until next week!

Love,
Elder Skabelund

No comments:

Post a Comment